Every year, from the end of October onwards, we start receiving festive tracks in our Inbox, and every year we stash them away in a special playlist.
Fresh On The Net moderator, and Christmas song connoisseur (probably), Marina Florence has listened to all these tunes, and has this to say:
Lots of love has most certainly gone in to the production of some these tracks, with plenty of surprise and, in some cases, vague Christmas Cheer. Words contained within made me smile like: “Christmas is a cheeseboard for two”, “shopping for shit that you don’t even want”, or slightly more troubling, “this Christmas Eve there’s no need for extra chairs”. Covid gets a mention somewhat and one track calls it Corona — I remember a time when Corona meant fizzy pop delivered to your door by a man with a van.
The singers paint twinkled images of snow-covered streets, presents under the tree and rejoicing at a distance, some scene set with jingle jangly openings to mediocre middles and ecstatic endings. There’s the chance you may be surprised to discover that one or two, played on repeat much like the usual fare we hear, could be just as popular, you might even find yourself unintentionally singing along, fa la la la la la la la la.
Whether you listen to this playlist or ignore it, there’s no escaping the Christmas song, they will come whether you want them to or not, they will come with bouncy little tunes, sprinkled with good cheer, glockenspiels, xylophones, pianos, bells and a whole lotta sparkle.
Gift the artists in the playlist a few moments of your listening time this Yuletide, you may find one or two tracks that make you feel “all toasty inside”, it is true you could also find a few, let’s be kind here, that you don’t — that’s OK, just skip along to the next track. A couple had me feeling nostalgic and, more importantly, made me smile — no one can knock that.
Listen, like and comment below if you find anything you love, if nothing else it will give you something to do while you’re alone this Christmas.
It just leaves me one thing to say, from a socially safe distance of course, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
— Marina Florance
We’re taking a break until the inbox reopens on Monday, January 11th 2021. Thank you to everyone who sent us their music and voted on the Listening Post over the last twelve months.
- ANNIE DRESSNER – Wonderful Christmastime (feat. The Last Dinosaur)
- CARLA J. EASTON FEAT. EUGENE KELLY (THE VASELINES) – When It’s Starting To Snow (Please Be Mine)
- CHARLEY STONE – Merry Christmas Actually
- CHARLOTTE BETTSON – COVID-XM45
- CHRISSY AND THE PRESENTS – Here Comes A Christmas Song
- DA – Have A Merry Christmas Mr Johnson
- EDD DONOVAN AND THE WANDERING MOLES – Fell Like Snow
- ELENA RAMONA – This Christmas
- FALCON DOWN – Snow This Christmas
- FM TOWNS – Until Another Year
- GLOVE COMPARTMENT – Christmas Is Ruined
- GODDAMMIT JEREMIAH – Let’s Just Give Christmas A Miss
- GREG TAAFE – Christmas 2020
- HOLLY TAYMAR – A Christmas Tree
- JAKE NEWBY – Christmas Angel
- JAKE POP – Wish List (Xmas Song 2020) Feat. Shea Thomas
- JASON LEWIS AND ANCIENT CHAMPION – The Hospice, Christmas 2020
- JIM PEARSON – Perfect Christmas Day
- LAURA DURDEY – Christmas By The Bay
- LIGHT EMITTING DINOSAURS – Christmas Alone
- MELISSA BEL – River
- MICHAEL PERRY – Spend It With You
- MIKE MCKENZIE – Thex Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
- PROBLEM PATTERNS – Christmas Number One
- PROJECT SUNLIGHT – Christmas Lights
- RAVI AMRUTH – Mistletoe
- REBECCA HURN – Something About Christmas
- REPLICA – I Don’t Want To Hear About Covid At Christmas Time
- RONNIE PARRY – Christmas On Lord Street
- RORY NELLIS – Comfort & Joy
- SHINY TIGER – The Ghosts Of Christmas Past
- SIMON BURFORD – Christmas Star
- SOPHIE MCGEORGE – Here Comes The Snow
- THAORES – Celebrate Christmas
- THE BOY LEAST LIKELY TO – It Will Still Be Christmas
- THE ELI LILLIES – Christmas Is The Season Of Love
- THE HERRON BROTHERS – Don’t Be Lonely This Christmas
- THE HORSE PUPPETS – Until Next Year
- THE KUT – Waiting For Christmas
- THE LOVE GENERATION – Corona’d At Christmas
- THE SHACKLETON TRIO – Gonna Retrain As Santa Claus
- THE WATANABES – Christmas Hummingbird
- TIAM – Stars Will Shine (It’s Christmas Time)
- TROPICAL BOYFRIEND CATALOGUE – I Celebrate Christmas (Better Than You)
- VSTRS-3 – Don’t Let Christmas Fuck You Up
- W3IMARANER – 3Mince