Every week Signal Committee present an Eclectic Picks playlist. All tracks are selected from the full inbox of 200 tracks that are submitted each week to Fresh On The Net. This week all the credit goes to our special guest curator, Platinum Mind.
WHAT DO WE LOOK FOR?
Our playlists are orientated to the alternative music fan. Lyrics are not essential, abstract ideas are embraced and the fusing of different genres is encouraged. If you used to write band names on your pencil case at school, you’ll probably like our playlists.
INTRODUCING PLATINUM MIND
And now for something completely different. This week, fellow moderator and music producer, Platinum Mind, takes the Eclectic Picks in a new direction…
ARTISTS SELECTED THIS WEEK
- LEMON LAKE – Mars
- CODEWALKERS – Nothing 4 Free
- LAMIA – Not Enough
- DAKKA SKANKS – You Can’t Cancel This
- WEZ KING – Clay
- NALGO BAY – Jealousy
- JOHNNY GREYSTOKE – No Gain Without Jane (Vocal Cut)
- NEEV – Hard Lines
- JIHAD DARWISH – For A Moment
- JOCEE – Yes
- SILVERFISH – DeVito
- MATT SAXTON – Freedom
- ALEX HALL – Take You Back
- FMARI DANGERFIELD – Ruins
- GITIKA PARTINGTON – 52nd Parallel North
- SOULILOQUY – Alone… In This Room
- ALIEN ALARMS – We Must Make More Of Us
- CAT MEADLEY – Bubblegum Bleeding
- LEE SWITZER-WOOLF – I Think I Might Be Whatever This Isn’t
- OSCAR BING’S HALF DECENT LIGHTWEIGHTS – Fucked Up
A FEW WORDS FROM PLATINUM MIND
Hey. I’m Del. The FOTN regulars among you may know me as the guy who works in a few really bad puns in my reviews and have been called the Michael Parkinson on the team as I like to interview people and get deep about the stories behind their songs, but I have a big huge passion for music – new music in particular!
This week’s inbox was mega, and I could have picked so much more but these are my 20 – yes I went with twenty!
PSA for anyone reading this, I curate playlists on Spotify and Apple Music, and I have a radio show for Islington Radio as well as a Spotify only podcast (Tales From A Virtual Record Shop), so if you ever want to submit please do! email@example.com is my email and check out my website www.platinummind.net
A few words about my choices:
I like listening to a wide range of genres – the way I like to see it is if I had my own radio show what would it include? That’s pretty much how I curate my picks every week, I never take the honour of being part of the team lightly!
Oh you want a joke?
What do cats eat for breakfast?
Yeah I think I’ll stick to making tunes too.
STEP 1 – LISTEN
Listen to this weeks Eclectic Picks playlist using your weapon of choice below:
After 7 days, the playlist will be updated with the next batch, and this week’s picks will be added to the 2023 playlists below.
STEP 2 – SPREAD THE WORD
Do you ever think, or hear people say, “there’s no good music any more”? Maybe they aren’t looking in the right places. Prove them wrong:
- Subscribe to the playlist
- Listen in each week
- Tell your friends
- Shout on social media
The more people listen to this playlist, the more exposure unsigned artists receive. So spread the word!
STEP 3 – MUSIC VIDEOS?
Music is great. Music videos are better. Keep the momentum going, send any music videos our way and, if we’re in a good mood, we’ll add the best ones to our music video playlist here.
The playlists above are updated weekly, then added to the playlists below:
We all have ambitions to get on national radio, but in the meantime there are loads of great, independent radio stations that are always looking for new music of the alternative variety. They offer no promises, but the following hosts tell me they that, if you made this list, they’d like you to get in touch to be considered for their show:
- Joe Figueira of North Manchester FM, apply with MP3, short bio & twitter handle by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Del Osei-Owusu, aka Platinum Mind and fellow FOTN moderator, is happy to consider submissions for the Songbird Sessions, a 1 hour show for The Songbird HQ on Islington Radio. Just email Del with a bio and MP3 to email@example.com
- Neil March, Trust The Doc Radio Show (5PM BST, Exile FM). Submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are are radio presenter/DJ looking for someone to do all the hard work for you in filtering out the more alternative tunes hitting the FOTN inbox each, week, just give Signal Committee a shout!